St. Johns Church Washington DC



 

St. John's Church is located at 16th and H Sts., NW at Lafayette Square in Washington, DC Every Sunday after the 11:00 am service, there is a guided tour of St. John's. The church is available for public visitation from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm everyday. Metro stop: McPherson Square

St. John's Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square, is an historic Episcopal church located at 16th and H Streets, NW, in Washington, D.C. It is near Lafayette Square and the White House.

Beginning with James Madison, every president has at least been an occasional attendee, giving this church its nickname, "Church of the Presidents." The 54th pew is the President's Pew, and is reserved for the chief executive's use when in attendance.

Organized as a parish in 1815, it was named for Saint John, the Evangelist. The first service was held at St. John's Church in October 1816. It was designed by Benjamin Latrobe, designer of the U.S. Capitol Building, and is constructed of stucco-covered brick, taking the form of a Greek cross. In 1820, the portico and tower were added. [2]

In 1902, the formal state funeral of British ambassador Lord Pauncefote took place in St. John's Church.

Artwork in the church includes two sculptures by Jay Hall Carpenter, a chapel cross in polished brass, and Ascent Into Heaven, a 3/4 lifesize bronze angel and child overlooking the church's columbarium.

In 1966, St. John's Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.

St. John's Episcopal Church, Lafayette  Square, is an historic Episcopal church

Copyright © 2011 the-visitor-center.com Back to Main Page The Visitor Center
         
butterball bear ornaments Original fine art Bear carvings

Christmas Carvings and Fine Art Wood Carvings at www.christmas-carvings.com

Get your 35mm slides, photos, films, 3D Stereo slides and more converted to JPEG images and also get a FREE, full production, DVD slide show and all disks are included in our low pricing.