Manassas Jubilee of Peace

FIFTH PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY COURTHOUSE
The city of Manassas originated in 1852 at the junction of the Manassas Gap and the Orange & Alexandria railroads. During the Civil War the junction's strategic significance led to two important battles nearby. After the war, as the community grew, citizens sought to move the county seat there from Brentsville. In 1872, a year before Manassas -was incorporated as a town, and again in 1888, referenda failed. A third referendum in 1892 succeeded. This Romanesque Revival courthouse, designed by James C. Teague and Philip T. Marye. of Norfolk and Newport News, was completed in 1893 and served the county until 1984 when a new courthouse was built nearby.
« | < | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |

   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Manassas Jubilee Peace Center

Copyright © 2011 the-visitor-center.com Back to Main Page The Visitor Center
         
butterball bear ornaments Original fine art Bear carvings

Christmas Carvings and Fine Art Wood Carvings at www.christmas-carvings.com

Get your 35mm slides, photos, films, 3D Stereo slides and more converted to JPEG images and also get a FREE, full production, DVD slide show and all disks are included in our low pricing.