Manassas Bull Run Battlefield

Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |


 

the visitor center

Manassas National Battlefield Park, located north of Manassas, Virginia, preserves the site of two major American Civil War battles: the First Battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861, and the Second Battle of Bull Run which was fought between August 28 and August 30, 1862 (also known as the First Battle of Manassas and the Second Battle of Manassas, respectively).

The peaceful Virginia countryside bore witness to clashes between the armies of the North (Union) and South (Confederacy), and it was here that Confederate General Thomas J. Jackson acquired his nickname "Stonewall."

Today the National Battlefield Park provides the opportunity for visitors to explore the historic terrain where men fought and died for their beliefs more than a century ago. More than 700,000 people visit the battlefield each year. (In comparison, roughly 15 million people visit nearby Washington, DC, annually.[1]) As an historic area under the National Park Service, the park was administratively listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.

The Henry Hill Visitor Center, on Sudley Road by the south entrance to the park, offers exhibits and interpretation regarding the First Battle of Bull Run, including civil war era uniforms, weapons, field gear and an electronic battle map. The center offers the orientation film "Manassas: End of Innocence", as well as a bookstore.

* Stone House, used as a hospital during both battles. It is near the intersection of Sudley Rd and Lee Hwy.
* Stone Bridge, which the Union retreated across after both battles. It is on Lee Highway near Bull Run.
* Brawner's Farm, the opening faze of the second battle. The parking lot is off of Pageland Ln at the western edge of the battlefield.
* Battery Heights, where Confederate batteries were deployed to fire on the attacking Union troops at nearby Brawner's Farm. It is off of Lee Hwy.
* Matthews Hill, the opening faze of the 1st battle. It is off of Sudley Rd.
* The Unfinished Railroad Grade, where Jackson deployed his men before the second battle after capturing Pope's supply depot. Off of Featherbed Ln.
* The Deep Cut, where Pope launched the bulk of his attacks against the Grade. Off of Featherbed Ln, before you reach the Railroad Grade.
* Groveton, a extinct Civil War era village. All that remains is the small frame house that Louis Dogan lived in. A Confederate Cemetery is nearby. Both are off Lee Highway.
* New York Monuments, where the 5th New York Zouaves lost 123 men in 5 minutes. 2 Monuments are dedicated to them. Off of Lee Hwy, on 5th New York Ave.
* Hazel Plain, the plantation of the Chinn family. It now sits in ruins, and only the foundation remains. Directly across from the Henry Hill Visitors Center.
* Chinn Ridge, right across from Hazel Plain. General James Longstreet's massive counterattack during the 2nd battle took place here. A trail leads to a boulder for Union Colonel Fletcher Webster, the son of the famous orater Daniel Webster, who was killed leading a failed attempt at repulsing the Confederate Counterattack.

Manassas Bull Run Battlefield

Copyright © 2011 the-visitor-center.com Back to Main Page The Visitor Center
         
butterball bear ornaments Original fine art Bear carvings

Christmas Carvings and Fine Art Wood Carvings at www.christmas-carvings.com

Get your 35mm slides, photos, films, 3D Stereo slides and more converted to JPEG images and also get a FREE, full production, DVD slide show and all disks are included in our low pricing.