|The Farm and the Ferry
Several documents provide dues About the farm buildings, the people who lived here (the Washington family and their slaves), and the crops and livestock they raised. A 1738 advertisement in the Virginia Gazette describes the property as "a beautiful Situation, and very commodious for Trade," Including a "very handsome Dwelling house, 3 store houses, and several other convenient Out-houses, and a Ferry
The probate Inventory taken at Augustine farm buildings and residents. The "home house," rebuilt (probably very like the old house) after the 1740 fire, had six rooms. Following a standard Virginia plan of the time, the first floor had two principal rooms (hall and parlour) divided by a passage. There were two bedchambers above, and a shed addition, containing two rooms, at the back.
The house was furnished to a comfortable gentry level, with some luxuries. The family enjoyed curtained beds, a large expensive looking glass, Chinese porcelain dining wares, Including tea and coffee dishes, and 26 silver spoons. Augustine owned a silver hilted sword and a valuable silver watch.
|Image | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | > | »|
|Copyright © 2011 the-visitor-center.com||Back to Main Page|