|For its first seven decades, Elwood’s prosperity depended largely on the labor of slaves. The population of slaves here fluctuated from 40 up to as many as 100. Never were the residents of the "big house" and their hired overseers more than a fraction of the total population of Ellwood.
Most slaves at Ellwood were field hands who-toiled relentlessly in fields and woodlands-both integral parts of an antebellum plantation. The slaves here grew mostly corn and wheat. In 1860, they also managed 18 milk cows, a herd of 50 sheep and about 100 pigs on about 4,300 acres of land.
At Ellwood, the owner, his overseer, law and custom combined to control slaves' lives Slaves had no legal names, could not have recognized marriages, were barred from education, could not have without permission, and fin the 1800s) were prohibited from gathering without a white man present.
In response, slaves formed strong communities within their insulated world. On plantations the size of Ellwood, their quarters were probably scattered across the estate. We know not where they buried their dead. Little evidence of their presence remains.
|« | < | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | > | »|
|Copyright © 2011 the-visitor-center.com||Back to Main Page|